Santa Fe Train Depot Restoration
Giddings, Texas - 1870
The history of Giddings Texas has much to do with the influence to the rail road. Giddings was the intersections of two major Santa Fe rail road lines. One line ran east and west and the other north and south. The east and west lines were abandoned in 1985, the north and south lines are still a major route for the rail road.
The original train depot was built in 1870 and functioned as a working office until the 1950's. Since that time the building served as a farm and ranch feed store. Very little was done to maintain the building and it fell into much needed repair. The Giddings Economic Development Board purchased the building and hired Gaeke Construction to help with the restoration.
The restoration process consisted of leveling and shoring the existing structure, reconstructing and replacing the roof framing and refinishing all the architectural features. ADA compliance issues were also addressed.
Currently the building is used for public and private events, community functions and railroad museum. The building will also serve as the headquarters for the Rural Texas Tourism Center.
ARCHITECT: GIDDINGS ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT BOARD
BUILDING SIZE: 7,500 SQ. FT.
CONTRACT TYPE: NEGOTIATED
St. James Episcopal Church
La Grange, Texas - 1885
Gaeke Construction headed up several restoration projects on the old church, namely kitchen and meeting room additions to the existing sanctuary. Two-story classroom additions were also added to the rear of the property. A meditation garden was then installed to tie the sanctuary and classrooms together.
Not only were additions made, but modifications to the historic church were put in place to bring the church up to ADA compliance.
Being a historical site, projects were also completed to refinish the interior wood trim and interior plaster to original condition. Stain glass window restoration with Lexan protection as well as the alter area being returned to it's original condition, were also part of the restoration.
The new additions were also built using identical materials to match the original structure.
ARCHITECT: JASON MERRITT & ASSOC. & TEXAS HISTORICAL COMMISSION
BUILDING SIZE: 5,000 SQ. FT.
CONTRACT TYPE: COMPETITIVE SEALED PROPOSAL
Bastrop County Courthouse and Jail Historical Preservations
Bastrop, Texas - 1883
The Bastrop County Courthouse renovation was perhaps one of the more challenging and difficult projects the company has ever undertaken. Not only was the scope of work very unique, but all construction activities took place with the owner still occupying the existing building and conducting business functions for the people of Bastrop County on a daily basis.
There were three architectural, mechanical engineering and historical construction phases to this project.
First, the architectural phase included converting a third floor attic space into much needed office space. It also included adding a second floor onto the existing tax office area of the courthouse. Connecting the courthouse with the historic county jail structure was a priority and was achieved by constructing a structural steel, second floor access, elevated walkway and canopy. ADA accessibility issues were also address and resolved to bring the historic structure into compliance.
ARCHITECT: KIM WILLIAMS & ASSOCIATES (no longer in business)
BUILDING SIZE: 15,000 SQ. FT.
CONTRACT TYPE: LUMP SUM CONTRACT
The Project Continues...
Second, the mechanical engineering portion of the project included replacing all electrical and mechanical systems within the courthouse and historic county jail. Electrical, air conditioning systems and plumbing systems were all brought up to current code standards.
Third, the historic renovations to the old courthouse were the most interesting to construct. All of the existing interior wood was stripped of many years of paint and restored to its original condition.
The exterior plaster and brick were repaired and resorted to their original condition. The existing copper courthouse clock tower was repaired and restored. The historic limestone porch structures were dismantled, repaired and reconstructed after structural repairs were made to the porch foundations.
Along with the courthouse historic repairs the historic county jail was also part of the renovations. The interior of the old jail was converted into a museum. Portions of the old cell block were renovated and restored to its original condition. Also, exterior repairs focused on the intricate brick restorations as well as the stainless steel metal roof repairs and restoration.
State Bank, La Grange Branch Office
La Grange, Texas
On La Grange’s historic town square, a former meat processing plant from the 1800s was renovated to accommodate the needs of a 21st century bank and it’s customers. Complete electrical, mechanical and technology systems were replaced while addressing asbestos, health and safety issues. A former vault was transformed into a modern boardroom with barrel ceilings and recessed lighting.
ARCHITECT: CUTRIGHT AND ALLEN
BUILDING SIZE: 19,500 SQ. FT.
CONTRACT TYPE: NEGOTIATED